Ahh the 90s. Just thinking about it gives me waves of nostalgic joy. The Spice Girls, customised denim, hair mascara, The Spice Girls, body glitter, butterfly hair clips, The Spice Girls... you get the picture.
The 90s for me also conjure up memories of THE best teen films to grace our screens. Forget this weepy, romantic sh*t we're drip fed now, back in the day we made cult classics. Hell, I'll even extend that to the 80s- Teen Witch is effing incredible. The fashion, the properly hot hunk- oh yes!
So, it was with some trepidation that I learned my beloved Cruel Intentions is to have a sequel TV series focusing on Sebastian and Anette's offspring (one time was all it took, huh guys?) and something about Kathryn fighting for control of an empire.
Sounds pretty snoozy to me, but with Sarah Michelle Gellar signed up to reprise her role, it could be worth a punt. For me it's a classic of its time, so if you haven't watched it yet (where have you been, on Mars?) here's 5 reasons why Cruel Intentions was the best teen flick of the decade...
1. It. Was. Hot. AF. Ryan Phillippe (every girl's wet dream in the late 90s) full on naked, one of the hottest sex scenes this side of R-rated, soft core incest and the lesbian spit-filled kiss. What do we get today? Fifty Shades of soft. Pass.
2. It was basically a prequel to Gossip Girl. Chuck Bass is Sebastian; all bad boy done good because of a girl, even if Blair is downright more bitchy than Annette, the parallels are obvious.
3. Sarah Michelle Gellar was just on the right side of bunny boiler and I absolutely loved her. She's the reason I bought a cross chain (sans coke, obvs) and thought corsets as outerwear were a good idea.
4. The ending was so smug and just epic. My favourite song to this day- Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve was the perfect accompaniment to *spoiler alert* Kathryn's ruin at the hands of Cecile and Annette.
5. We've already established my love for The Verve, but seriously the soundtrack to this film was so on point. Blur, Fatboy Slim, Placebo and Counting Crows (Colourblind- you know the song I mean. Wink wink, nudge nudge).
Photo Credit: Columbia Pictures
Video Credit: Columbia Pictures
Like this post? Hit the heart to save to your profile for later.