You don't need to explain to us why you wanna call in sick. The truth is, people call in sick when they're actually not for many different reasons, and it's not always because you're in the mood to toss your alarm out the window or had too much to drink the night before (although this USUALLY is the case).
1/3 of the US workforce have admitted to taking a sick day when they weren't sick. Whether this is your first or 10th time picking up the phone to make that make or break call, here are some tips and tricks to ensure your success when playing hooky...particularly if you've no more [already] dead relatives to kill off.
1) Hanging your head upside down as you make the phone call helps you sound sick, almost as if you have a cold.
2) Food poisoning and stomach flu are classic excuses for getting out of work but are real winners because it's unlikely the person on the other side of the line will ask for more details. Don't use this excuse too often though. Maybe like, just once a year.
3) Efficiency is key. If you really were sick, being overly polite or apologetic about not going to work is the LAST thing you'd do. Keep the phone conversation as short as possible without giving away too many details or embellishing the story you've already spun.
4) Remember the excuse you gave about why you're not coming in. There's nothing worse than going into work the day after pulling a sicky and forgetting what it is exactly you said you had.
5) Avoid calling in sick on a Monday, Friday, or even the day after a work party - people will know you're faking. Obviously, calling in sick on the day of a big deadline or meeting is lame too. If you couldn't finish your work or get it up to scratch on time, letting everyone down by calling is sick is lame AF and only serves as a short-term solution anyway.
Not sure if you should take the plunge and attempt calling in sick? Here are 3 GOOD reasons for doing so..
1) Last night, you met Mr. Right Now. He's in town on a business trip and is flying back home the next morning. You don't know if he's married, if he's a criminal, or even what his last name is but you do know you're unlikely to ever see him again and want to agree to his request that you spend the day with him. Go on, you NEED this.
2) You've been experiencing car trouble for some time and it's a public holiday which means public transportation is unlikely to be reliable (if it's available in your area at all). You've asked your supervisor if they can reimburse you for a pre-booked cab but not only have they said no, they've forbidden you from switching shifts with other staff members because they've already drawn up the rota.
3) Got a job interview lined up for the role of your dreams? It's a no brainer, CALL IN SICK.
Follow us on Instagram HERE for bite size style inspo!