The Forbes' annual list of the highest-earning female actresses has been released, and some of them may take you by surprised. Mainly because it hints at a change in Hollywood,because some of the highest paid actresses don't fit into the narrow stereotype the industry holds as its ideal. Jennifer Lawrence came in at first, which isn't much of a surprise because she's had an incredible year! But Melissa McCarthy is second, which considering the barriers she's had to overcome because of the industry's fixation on her weight, it shows that stigma is slowly eroding. Hooray!
The Top 10:
1. Jennifer Lawrence, $46 million.
2. Melissa McCarthy, $33 million.
3. Scarlett Johansson, $25 million.
4. Jennifer Aniston, &21 million.
5. Fan Bingbing, $17 million.
6. Charlize Theron, $16.5 million.
7. Amy Adams, $13.5 million.
8. Julia Roberts, $12 million
9. Mila Kunis, $11 million
10. Deepika Padukone, $10 million.
This is great for female empowerment, but there is still a long way to go. Women still only account for 28.7% of the speaking roles in films, and there are only two women of colour on the list. Also, it is important to note that the highest paid male actor in 2015, Robert Downey, Jr. grossed $80 million. Which is almost double what Jennifer Lawrence made...I'll let you figure out what that infers.
Photo Credit: Pinterest
Like this post? Hit the heart to save it to your profile.