David Bowie was one of those people who could seamlessly transition from decade to decade and still be relevant, which is all the more reason why his death today is so poignant.
Incredible artist, fashion icon, legend, these words hardly do him justice. Looking back over his career in order to try and whittle down the most defining moments, this is apparent.
A tribute to one of the greatest rock gods of our time, here's 10 times David Bowie absolutely smashed the scene...
1. Ziggy Stardust: Very few artists today would commit to adopting a whole new persona as part of his latest fashion reinvention. Bowie even gave him a backstory and a suicide to match.
2. Aladdin Sane: The master of disguise, Bowie revealed his next character in typical loud fashion- the now much copied lightening bolt look.
3. Jareth in Labyrinth: How we felt for Sarah being taken in by the Goblin King, oh and how we loved the 80s mullet and makeup Bowie sported here!
4. Mural Attraction: Born in Brixton, London a mural was drawn for him near his old house to honour his work.
5. Famous Friends: He has many, but attending the 17th Annual Grammy Awards with John Lennon and Yoko Ono was one of the most intriguing.
6. Second Marriage: Marries Somali-American model Iman in 1992 and they have two children.
7. Inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame: In 1996 he received this accolade, with Madonna collecting the award on his behalf.
8. Life on Mars: The ludicrously popular track got something of a renaissance when it featured as the theme tune for a new BBC series of the same name. A whole new generation of fans were born.
9. 'Chubby Little Fat Man': Bowie showing off his humorous side appearing in Ricky Gervais' Extras will go down in history as one of the cringiest moments ever broadcast.
10. Releases his final album. To mark his 69th birthday, Bowie releases Lazarus- a fitting swansong, although we didn't realise it at the time.
Photo Credit: Pinterest/Tumblr
Video Credit: YouTube
Got a favourite Bowie moment? Share in the comments below.