Not often the first body part that springs to mind when planning your workouts, your back is most definitely key to strengthening and improving your posture. Plus, who doesn't want to flaunt a sculpted, sexy upper back?
All you need to do is follow these handy tips...
1) Do dumbbell shoulder shrugs. Standing with your feet apart and knees slightly bent, keep your arms at your sides with a dumbbell in each hand (palms facing inwards). Keeping your stomach tight, gently shrug your shoulder up to your ears but keep your elbows straight! Hold for 3 counts then repeat for 10 reps.
2) Targeting your lower back, The Cobra is a strengthening exercise like no other. Lying face down on the floor with your arms at your sides (palms DOWN), lift your chest and legs simultaneously off the ground - hold for 3 counts again and repeat for 10 reps! Keep your glutes and abs tight as you do these.
3) Do pullups. Avoid bending your hips or knees as you do these and try to extend your arms all the way down at the bottom of each movement; otherwise, you'll have cheated and only done HALF a pull-up...
4) If you suffer from lower back pain, stretch out the muscles around the lower spine by lying on your back and pulling your legs off the ground and towards your chest. Hold each stretch for half a minute and repeat 5 - 10 times as often as you can.
5) Exercise your back 3 times a week on alternating days for best results.
Scroll right to WATCH how to do your first ever pull-up and shop below to get the gear!
Photo Credit: Instagram
Video Credit: Brad Gouthro
Like this post? Hit the heart to save to your profile for later