The book was possibly the worst thing ever written, yet sold more than Harry Potter and the film won a Razzie, yet millions of us flocked to see it. What is so special about Fifty Shades of Grey?
It's undeniably addictive (I went through all three books in five days- no judgement please I was on a beach in Marbs) but when it came to the film, it just didn't deliver what we were all expecting.
So, with the sequel now well underway, here's 5 ways to improve their fortunes with Fifty Shades Darker...
1. Up the sex: The book had nothing going for it apart from the fact it was a bonkbuster, and the film was just too tame. Give the audience what they want... namely Jamie Dornan full frontal.
2. Get rid of EL James: If rumours are to be believed her and Sam Taylor Johnson came to blows so much on the first film, Johnson quit the sequels. Apparently James insisted on having massive input on the screenplay and we all know how that turned out.
3. Throw us a curveball: Stray from the parts of the book which didn't work, give the audience something different. More of the abused ex, creepy boss and Mrs Robinson figure- namely anything which cuts away from Ana & Christian's cringe fest.
4. Cut the god awful dialogue: Yes, it was laugh out loud when you read it, but seeing it uttered on the IMAX makes for a cringe-worthy experience. Hiding behind the popcorn bucket is not sexy.
5. Recast the leads: OK this is drastic, given that filming is already underway, but HELLO, chemistry?! Jamie is hot, Dakota is a decent actress, but we don't believe a (dirty) word they are uttering.
What do you think- a tad harsh or bang on? Ellen certainly knows how to lighten the mood with her take on the new trailer. Watch the hilarious skit above!
Photo Credit: Glamour
Video Credit: Ellen
Like this post? Hit the heart to save to your profile for later.