Double dates went out of fashion for a while, but they're back in favour with millennials after dating apps made them cool again- like the app Double, as seen on Dragon's Den, and Tinder's new 'social' feature. We debate in a final showdown, are double dates lame or a fun way to date?
1) They can diffuse awkwardness. If you're dating someone your friends know or have set you up with, this provides a common ground which can make the first or second date a little less stressful.
2) If you're in a longterm relationship and so is your BFF, a great way to get your SO's to bond is a double date. You and your girl can gossip, forcing them to make conversation, and before you know it you're the 4 best friend's anyone could have.
3) New friends. It's always great to meet new people and expand your social circle, so going on double dates with people you don't know that well could open up new possibilities.
4) This is a pro for you and your BFF, not so much your SO. Double dates are a brilliant way to interrogate your pal's new man, without it being intimidating/super obvious.
1) Comparisons. Your date turns up late, in old jeans, and a little drunk. Your friend's date arrives in a suit, with flowers and chocolates. Smug pr*cks.
2) One couple is always waaaaay more PDA than the other. You and your beau just want to eat your spaghetti in peace, not watch a live porno happen across the table.
3) If you or the other couple have an argument, things get a million times more tense. What's protocol if one couple break up? Do you carry on eating the meal? Do you pretend it didn't happen? So many questions, so many potentially awkward situations. We'll pass thanks.
4) Flirting, with the wrong person. If it's a first double date switches may happen, and that's just plain weird.
5) You can roll your eyes at your beau, but when your mate's beau is being annoying that's not quite as acceptable.
Basically, double dates nine times out of ten are horrible. And a bad idea.
If you're in a long term relationship and you're already great friends with another couple then it's a lovely thing, but more of a catch up then a double date. First date double dates are never as fun as they sound, trust me.
Photo Credit: Pinterest
Follow us on Instagram HERE for bite size style inspo!